Monday, January 30, 2012

THOUGHTS: The Ten Commandments of Boardgaming

I've posted this elsewhere, but I thought maybe it might be interesting for you folks too.  A long time ago I came up with this list of rules I try to follow when I play boardgames.  I know not everyone agrees with every point on this list, but it works pretty well for me.  Over the next few weeks I'll go into depth with each commandment and explain what it means to me, and why I think it's important to keep in mind.  Enjoy!

I. Thou shalt have fun.

II. Thou shalt strive to be friendly and polite to other players so they might have fun as well.

III. Thou shalt keep thy mouth firmly shut when tempted to comment on other players' moves unless asked specifically for help.  Presume not to know better than other players, regardless of thy experience in the game.

IV. Thou shalt not hold grudges against any player from game to game, regardless of perceived slights, persecutions, and other misfortunes.

V. Thou shalt be mindful of a game owner's concerns and treat their property with the utmost respect and care at all times.

VI. Thou shalt always play to win, regardless of the the hopelessness of thy situation in a game.

VII. Thou shalt attempt to introduce others to thy hobby by being a patient and friendly teacher.

VIII. Thou shalt not refuse to play a game unless thou hast played said game at least twice.

IX. Thou shalt always be gracious in both victory and defeat at the conclusion of a game, regardless of the game's final outcome.

X. Thou shalt strive to seek out new games to learn and play.  Be not content to just play thy favorite games... expand thy horizons and help others to grow as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment